A Journey to the Sea

Sarah Tintagyl

Looking down at the ragtag group of individuals, Theresia sighed and shook her head. "Who are these people in my presence, Anita?" she said to one of the Amazons that brought Bayari and his entourage to her dais. "They look like they were just dragged from the river."

"A river boat was burning on the water, we dragged them from the shore line. They are from Fort Jochid, the outpost that was attacked by bandits a few days ago. The Chinese woman is responsible for the burning of the fort, she is known in the area as the Black Bandit." The Empress nodded at the Amazon's words and turned to Siyah who hid her face from Theresia's gaze.

"This is true? I heard rumors but I did not know I would meet the bandit face to face."

"The magistrate was corrupt," Siyah blurted out before being kicked down into the dirt by one of the Amazon guards.

"Take her away, I will deal with her later," said Theresia as the guards picked up the bandit by her arms and began to drag her towards a tent. Then, the Empress turned and smiled at the other three, "You have been on a journey that I myself envy if you started from Fort Jochid. You have come a long way, the bandit will be killed for the destruction of Imperial property, but what are your names and where are you headed, we will take you to your destination to avoid any other mishaps."

Looking at each other Jaya and Niccolo paused, both of them nearly wanted to speak for the bandit who was being dragged away, screaming with every violent curse against the Empress pouring from her mouth. "We are heading to the coast," said Jaya, finally, "To bring Bayari, the shaman of the Leopard Village training with other masters in his order."

The Empress nodded and looked at the Shaman, "And tell me, Bayari, what have you learned thus far on this journey?"

OOC: Shammy, will get your stuff tomorrow.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bayari listed to the conversation as the queen asked questions of the other party members. They told her of their journey from Fort Jochid, but actually they had come much further than that. He had come from Leopard Village on the shores of Lake Baikal. He thought back to all he had seen, what they had been through since coming there, and now to this camp. It was a long and hard road.

Now they were before the Empress of Tianxia, one of the most visible avatars of the great strength of the realm. A hero in her own right. She was speaking to him, asking what he had learned.

He looked down at his damp cloths. The once bright robes were much like the image he had had of the Empire. In his mind everything beyond the village was a paradise. Grand monuments around every corner, bellies full of food and wine, but it wasn't. The Empire was dirty, there were villains out there. He was not sure what to say.

Bayari looked up at the Empress, "I think, that I've learned that there is corruption. I think I've learned that the Empire is fragile your highness." he finally said boldly. "I've learned that even as greatness rises the seeds of its decay are planted. There is great evil in the world, ones most people inside their homes don't recognize. I think that means we need great strength of good to combat it." he finally said.

The Empress slowly rose from her throne and walked down the wooden dais and laid her hands on the shaman's shoulders. "Well it would appear that this journey gave you a new persepctive on things. You talk about corruption and evil," she smiled and turned her head to see Siyah being dragged into the prison tent by Amazon guards. "I am curious as to your opinion Shaman, what you see there," she said pointing at the bandit, "Do you see evil or good? I personally see a trouble-maker who has cost the empire thousands of pounds of gold in destroying our infrastructure, messing up trade routes, and taking money away from the nobility."

She clapped her hands, "Anita, tell your soldiers to wait, I want to hear this young man's answer."

"Of course, Majesty," said the guard and Siyah's eyes met Bayari's own.

"You have been on the journey longer than I have and you have your own perspective. Should I have this woman killed or is she a benefit to myself and to my empire?"

---

Meanwhile, back on the river's shoreline, Adila's body moved with the ebb and flow of the river. Her face stuck down in the mud and appearing more dead than alive to the old man who had come to investigate the steamship's destruction. Picking the woman's body from the muck, he looked at the fine clothes and the dagger sticking out from her leg. With a smile, he hoisted her onto his back and slowly began to travel back towards his village.

When Adila would wake, she would be in a bed with warm rags over her head and the heat of a fire flickering over her skin.

"I imagine you are someone important," said the old man as he noticed her eyes begin to part. "Though I am not sure whether your importance brings me fortune or ill-will."

The Shaman looked at Siyah. Gone was the elegance of her appearance earlier in the night. At that time he thought her a vision. Now she was covered in mud, her clothes were torn, and her face was bruised from the blows that Jaya had landed. He paused, biting his lip. He had never before had someone's life in his hands, he had never before had to make such a judgement.

There was quiet for several minutes as he looked at the ground, sure she had cheated them, but she had also treated them with compassion. And Fort Jorchid? That was as much the magistrate as it was her. What happened when those entrusted to protect, became corrupt?

He looked back at the queen, "I think." he said pausing, "I think that what the Magistrate did was unjust, and that she at one point fought for justice. But then she pursued her own ends. I think that if she strives for justice, she should have to work to achieve it." he said. "But I think it'd be a waste to just kill her."

• 2 weeks later...

"I..." Siyah muttered as she looked at Bayari and then back at the ground.

"You heard him," said the Empress as she raised her hand. "Let the bandit go, she well be used to inspire justice throughout the borders of the Empress. Impressed military service for four years on the northern and western frontiers. She can see our borders safe and our officials behaved." Smiling at Siyah, the Empress's figure seemed to cut into the bandit's soul. "But you are on a small leash. If I am told of any disturbances, resulting from you, you will be executed. I promise this."

"I understand," said the bandit and felt the guards pick her back to her feet. Then they carried her off towards the tents in the back of the campground while the Empress turned back to the small entourage.

"You made a wise choice, to spare her life, I believe you are already well beyond your years Shaman. Since you are traveling east, you will accompany my camp and I back to the coast. There you can complete your training in the ways of your ancestors and I will let the masters know of your wisdom and your bravery to come so far."

Adila would awake with dull pain emanating from her flanks and a light groan, she had thought herself dead for a moment, the light of the fire bright to her eyes as they were pointed right at the dancing flames. The soft blankets that covered her body felt comforting to her, they weren't the elegant sheets that she had been able to sprawl out in on the steamship nights previous, they still had a bit of roughness to them, she was certainly in no company of a noble. She wasn't sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing, but for that moment, the blankets felt like the one she had carried on her journey, her journey from Timuridia, atop...

"Mikhail..." she uttered sadly, and almost inaudibly.

Her reverie was broken quickly, when a sagely voice from a dark figure nearby, said, "I imagine you are someone important. Though I am not sure whether your importance brings me fortune or ill-will."

Well, at least he seems respectful, Adila would think lightly. She mustered the heartiest of voices she could, and replied in a croak, "Until recently, I would think fortune, but now I am not so sure after the past few weeks..." She stopped short, and let out a little grimace of pain; as her consciousness grew, so did her pain from her side.

She slowly opened her eyes a little wider, and looked over at the older man, "Where... where am I?"

"I..." he wondered how he had stumbled into such a position.  To be asked by the Queen of Tianxia was indeed both a weighty request and offer.  The shaman could scarcely believe that he had stumbled into such a situation.  He looked around the camp in awe of the splendor.  It was what he had imagined the wealth of the East truly being.  Would this woman prove to be worthy of the legends told over her?  Thus far the rest of the trip had been a disappointment.  He bit his lip for a moment withholding judgement.

"Yes your majesty." he finally said.  He didn't have much of a choice did he?  With any luck things would be more hopeful going forward.  He looked at his companions.  "What do you have planned for us if I may be so bold to ask?" he said, "We've travelled a long way, and nothing has gone according to how we expected it to go."