Armed Society Unites Against the Polemarch

Armed Society

[i]From the desk of Nobody, a member of Armed Society:[/i]

When the nation of Armed Society coalesced less than two months ago, its citizens embarked on a grand experiment. Could the citizens of a society with no rules function out of mutual armament and politeness alone? This observer believes the answer is a resounding yes.

In the short time since its anonymous founders first sent out the call for like-minded individuals to gather in the world's last unclaimed territory, Bir Tawil, the new constituents of Armed Society have thrived. Individuals and free associations have built infrastructure, developed technology, and participated in tens of millions of banknotes' worth of international trade, all without a single mandate or regulation.

From the very beginning, the Jewish population of Armed Society has been the main driving force behind voluntary collectivization efforts. Jewish charity created the first subsidized road in Armed Society, and investment from the three largest synagogues expedited the peoples' first offensive bomber program. It was not long, however, before the rest of Armed Society came to admire the voluntary collective efforts of the Jews. Tzedakah became a major segment of the economy; tikkun olam became the unofficial motto. Various militias and the air force program are funded by a voluntary income tax with an astounding 78% compliance rate.

Immigrants, Jews and goyim alike, flocked to Armed Society because of its affluence and rapid growth. The nation has seen wave after wave of immigration, especially from a series of Jewish states attacked by one Polemarch, the cruel and autocratic ruler of Xenios. While Armed Society was just getting started as a nation.hese refugees visited the various militias of Armed Society but found no support for a foreign war to take back their homes from the rat who calls himself Polemarch.

Everything changed at the beginning of November. The State of Xenios expanded its borders, and its dictator chose to expel its new population rather than embrace the advantages and challenges of a multicultural society. Hundreds and then thousands of new refugees made their way to Armed Society. None were Jewish, those citizens having been killed in riots or expelled. Some practiced traditional religions, but a surprising number were Christians who refused to stand for the Polemarch's xenophobic, violent, and oppressive style of rule when his tanks rolled over their borders.

Thus it came to pass that by November 15th, 550 members of Armed Society, the majority Christian and 50 of whom are trained pilots, founded the Antipolemarch Militia. Donations of planes and materiel poured in from all over Armed Society. The Militia has one stated goal. The people of Xenios [i]must[/i] be freed from their oppressor, the Polemarch!

[i]Dispatch from the Antipolemarch Militia's war correspondent:[/i]

The first campaign of the Antipolemarch Militia was a success. 51 members of the Militia gave their lives, and they will be remembered as heroes. The Polemarch's forces entered battle with 69 loyal soldiers. Only 35 loyalists remain. The Polemarch's 50 aircraft were nowhere to be seen, and have presumably fled his oppressive regime. The Polemarch now has less than 300 infrastructure under his control. The Militia is working day and night to destroy any remaining rat holes the Polemarch and his puppet King may hide in, and recommends that the Polemarch and his puppet surrender now and free the people of Xenios.

[img]http://i3.minus.com/ibxCgJos54DWTI.png[/img]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The Antipolemarch Militia has followed through with a second wave of successful attacks. During a flurry of night fighting, 15 Polemarch loyalists were killed; 20 remain. 18 brave Militiamen gave their lives to free the people of Xenios from the oppressive yoke of the Polemarch's regime. In response to offers of support from the Xenioshian opposition, representing the 1,752 restless subjects of the Polemarch, Militia members asked them to stay in their homes until the rat Polemarch and his puppet King are captured. An hour ago several dozen citizens of Armed Society set up camp within the territory captured by the Antipolemarch Miltia, and began distributing food and medical aid to displaced Xenoshians.[/font][/color]

[img]http://i5.minus.com/jo4Rf1NeCbzxl.png[/img]

[quote name='longnameislonger' timestamp='1353091831' post='3053382']
This is getting completely out of control.
[/quote]

[i]An open letter to the people and leader of Hello Automatic, from the desk of Gabriel Pope, commander of the Antipolemarch Militia:[/i]

To the people of Hello Automatic and their esteemed leader, longnameislonger:

It was with great sadness that I received a letter this morning on the letterhead of Hello Automatic's government. While not outright condemning the campaign to free the people of Xenios from the iron grip of the Polemarch, the letter signaled that some elements within Hello Automatic lack confidence in the Antipolemarch Militia's ability to control the situation in Xenios and bring much-needed stability to the region.

When the Militia arrived on Xenioshian shores yesterday evening, we found a wasteland. At the time of our arrival, Xenios' strength, measured by the internationally accepted "Nation Strength" standard, had been reduced to 4,970 from its previous height of 7,270. All evidence indicates that the humanitarian aid Xenios had received in the proceedings days was squandered by the Polemarch on mercenaries and ceremonies surrounding his new puppet King, leaving his people destitute. So neglectful was the Polemarch of his subjects that the international community deems them to be in a state of anarchy, even while the oppressive policies of the Polemarch still control their lives and prevent them from prospering within the free and fruitful anarchy enjoyed by the citizens of Armed Society.

As the people of Xenios are not yet able to establish a cooperative civil society of their own, it is up to the foreign forces operating in Xenios to ensure a stable transition, removing the Polemarch and his puppet King from power without interfering with the lives of Xenoshian civillians. Unfortunately, the four other nations currently in a state of war with the Polemarch are nowhere to be seen. The Polemarch's loyalists are in hiding, and the Polemarch himself has not been heard from since the Militia's invasion began.

I hope my point is becoming clear. The Antipolemarch Militia is the [i]only[/i] semblance of order remaining in Xenios. The Armed Society relief camp established in captured territory is the [i]only[/i] domestic or international effort to ensure that innocent Xenoshian civillians do not suffer further from the perpetual violence the Polemarch calls his "war with the world." Contrary to your assessment, the Militia's operation is the first time since the founding of Xenios that the situation has been getting more under control.

The Antipolemarch Militia operates under a military command structure, but we rely on voluntary taxes and other donations for support, not to mention voluntary enlistment. While I appreciate all comments from the international community, I urge Hello Automatic and its esteemed leader to consider the impact its recent publication might have on our campaign. If we stop hunting the remaining loyalists, the Polemarch may regain his grip on power. I am sure you understand that this would be devastating for the people of Xenios and would once again subject Xenios' neighbors to the Polemarch's aggressive campaign of ethnic cleansing.

I am happy to correspond with you further on this issue. My office is receptive of any comments from the Armed Society public or the international community. For the time being, however, I must hold a meeting with the commander of the Antipolemarch Militia's Air Division.

Yours truly,
Gabriel Pope
Commander of the Antipolemarch Militia

After a brief meeting with Commander Pope, the Antipolemarch Militia's Air Division was cleared for a second bombing run over loyalist-occupied territory. Two surgical airstrikes succeeded in destroying 6.12 infrastructure. No loyalists or Xenioshian civillians were injured or killed in the attack, and no friendly aircraft were damaged or destroyed.

[img]http://i4.minus.com/jKmWSSqr3YecF.png[/img]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Overnight, all but 150 of the Antipolemarch Militia's volunteers were transferred to civillian aid duty. Commander Pope has ordered my staff to work in one of the makeshift restaurants we are now constructing all over Xenios to ensure a swift recovery for the civilian population.[/color][/font]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]I am told that a $3 million banknote aid package for Xenios has been authorized by a wealthy group of Armed Society citizens. Its release is conditioned on the surrender of the Polemarch and his King and reasonable assurances that the free Xenoshians will tolerate a multicultural society going forward.[/color][/font]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I must report for duty. This wartorn land will not rebuild without our help. In closing, we mourn the 18 Antipolemarch Militia volunteers who were killed by loyalist fighters in today's operations. 13 loyalists were killed, and reports indicate that only 7 loyalists remain. The Polemarch and his King are still in hiding, neither having made a public appearance since the Militia's arrival. [/font][/color]5.072 was destroyed by attacks and targeted airstrikes; surely the Polemarch is running out of places to hide?

[quote name='Armed Society' timestamp='1353106688' post='3053454']

After a brief meeting with Commander Pope, the Antipolemarch Militia's Air Division was cleared for a second bombing run over loyalist-occupied territory. Two surgical airstrikes succeeded in destroying 6.12 infrastructure. No loyalists or Xenioshian civillians were injured or killed in the attack, and no friendly aircraft were damaged or destroyed.
[/quote]

I hope it is inferior intelligence on the ground and not deliberate mendacity that has caused you to report no civilian deaths. My [url="http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/Infrastructure"]own sources[/url] show that your "surgical airstrikes", by destroying 6.12 infrastructure, resulted in up to 60 civilian deaths.

I suspect, though, that unfortunately it is mendacity. To say you have "united" against Polemarch rings hollow when out of all the nations fighting his regime, yours was the last to declare war. I think it is less "uniting with" and more "riding on the coat-tails" of you allies. This thread is perhaps evidence of this.

There is no glory to be had in the destruction of another nation, which is probably why you are calling it a "reconstruction". [b][i]Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter![/i][/b]

I hope these words above will strike at our hearts. To the Polemarch who may or may not be reading this, but also to you who claims Judaism as your nation's religion, and so who should listen to the words of the prophet Isaiah.

[i]An open letter to the people and leader of the Free Land of Cathari, from the desk of Gabriel Pope, commander of the Antipolemarch Militia:[/i]

To the people of the Free Land of Cathari and their esteemed leader, Igumen:

The destruction of Xenioshian infrastructure will certainly cause hardships for civilians, which is precisely why I have retired well over half of my force and redirected them to humanitarian missions. But, while you are correct that 6.12 infrastructure is sufficient to house and support up to 60 civilians, you have forgotten that Armed Society and nations ravaged by the Polemarch's campaign of terror are growing with the help of wave after wave of Xenioshian refugees.

Unfortunately I must partially concede your second point: even now I am haunted by the thought that I could have acted earlier. Unfortunately, the new nation of Armed Society lacked strength. I was among the first group of Christians who sought refuge from the intolerant and cruel Polemarch in Armed Society. It took much time and preparation for Armed Society's military strength, and the strength of my Antipolemarch Militia, to grow and be able to see this campaign through to its end. I must point out, however, that you misinterpret Nobody's use of the word "united" if you think the other nations in a state of war with Polemarch are relevant. “United” was in fact a reference to the union of many Armed Society volunteers in the Antipolemarch militia and corresponding financial support from the rest of Armed Society, not the any cooperation with the Polemarch’s existing enemies. We entered this war expecting to fight alone, and we are glad to have so prepared: to date, no foreign force has fought alongside us. The Polemarch is poised to recover and resume his oppressive rule, and only the Antipolemarch Militia stands in his way.

In response to your third point, I assure you that the destruction of Xenios’ infrastructure is only temporary, and we have already pledged aid for the rebuilding effort. However, we cannot assure freedom for the citizens of Xenios nor security for our Jewish brethren until the Polemarch and his King leave Xenios in our custody. If the people of Xenios are damaged, it is on the hands of the Polemarch, who could end this campaign right now if only he was not in hiding.

Finally, I note with sadness that 1,000 of the Polemarch's loyalists were mercenaries from your nation. The battalion was nowhere to be found when we arrived. I suggest that in the future you do not send your citizens to die for the sake of an oppressive dictator like the Polemarch.

Yours truly,
Gabriel Pope

Edited by Armed Society

I accept your points about why you only joined the fight relatively late, though remain unconvinced by the rest. In the first war reports you've posted in this thread, it is clearly stated that you taunted the Xenioshians with "Get Sum" and "Killing your doods". This does not sit well with your pious-sounding words about this invasion of a sovereign nation being on humanitarian grounds. Battle taunts do not sit well with armed intervention purported to be for the good of citizens and the Cyberverse.

I also remain unconvinced by your claim that your campaign is merely causing Xenioshians to flee the country. You have no way of knowing that those people "disappearing" from the citizen count of Xenios are miraculously reappearing in your own Armed Nation, or indeed anywhere else. It is more than 60 "citizens" (this number only includes tax-paying citizens, so it could easily be counted as 60 families) that have "disappeared" due to your war, as your own battle reports show: at least 65 levels of infrastructure have been destroyed by your militia; if we reasonably conclude that for every "citizen" lost there are also his/her children or other dependents lost too, there are potentially over 1000 civilians who have perished due to your actions. And all in the name of liberating them!

I suggest that as Xenios is in a state of anarchy, and if nation activity shows that no tax collection is taking place, it can be assumed that the government of Xenios is no longer there. Any military actions you take from here on simply amounts to the murder of citizens and the raiding of technology.

[i]An open letter to the people and leader of the Free Land of Cathari, from the desk of Gabriel Pope, commander of the Antipolemarch Militia:[/i]

Your condemnation of battle taunts is devoid of any consideration for human life. My Militia’s purposeful avoidance of civilian casualties has led to a tragic number of deaths among our comrades, outpacing the casualties we can inflict on the Polemarch’s loyalists. I simply cannot deny my troops the small morale advantage of shout whatever they wish as they hunt the remaining loyalists.

Please rest assured that a group of concerned academics are currently investigating your allegations regarding Xenios’ displaced civilian population. We welcome a joint investigation with your academics, as we are wary of your material support for Planet Bob’s enemies but we do not currently consider your nation a threat.

Unfortunately I must reject your final suggestion. The Polemarch has seized power during a period of anarchy and resumed his campaign of ethnic cleansing on at least one former occasion. If the Polemarch and his King are not in my custody by the time our troops withdraw, we will be forced to redeclare war or fund other enemies of the Polemarch. We cannot grow out of Xenios’ range until we know the world is safe from genocide.

Yours truly,
Gabriel Pope

Edited by Armed Society

Although Cathari does provide a safe-haven for academics, we do not wish to use them to trespass upon another sovereign nation's territory without express permission. You yourself have used the continued "threat" of Xenios' government to justify your military campaign; therefore, if Xenios' government still exists, then Cathari would not violate the borders of that country without their express permission.

Remaining in a state of war with Xenios is not the same as carrying out military operations. You could do the former without carrying out the latter if not allowing the Polemarch to "get away with it" was your primary concern. Nevertheless, your actions still assume that you have a right to intervene in the running of a another sovereign nation and impose rules upon it. Indeed, your CB for fighting Xenios seems to be exactly that: that Xenios is imposing its will upon other nations and is a threat to them. But now, you are doing exactly the same [i]to[/i] Xenios. This hypocrisy is far more dangerous to the health of your state than any damage you can inflict upon Xenios, or Xenioshian loyalists can inflict upon you.

Finally, you are not the first nation to flag up the aid that was sent to, and accepted by, the Polemarch of Xenios. Then, it was also a nation with "internationalist" ideals that was criticizing the Free Land of Cathari's charitable donation. It seems a dangerous spirit of interference and moralistic pontification that infects such nations, whereby they expect other countries to live by their own ideals, by whatever means.

Regardless, the reply I sent to that other nation - and which was graciously received - I now copy here for your own consumption:

[b]I certainly would not aid a nation in its aggressive wars, but do and have aided nations fighting defensive wars. The aid was sent because a nation from a large alliance had declared war, for political-ideological reasons, on Xenios: a confessed Christian nation

The Free Land of Cathari is a nation that welcomes all peoples willing to repent and dedicate their lives to Jesus Christ. In order to do this, we cannot pre-judge any person (prejudice comes from the Latin to "pre-judge"), but give freely and without guile. We had no dealings with Polemarch before the war with the LSF came to our attention, and the aid was sent - without judgment and with clear conditions - in this non-judgmental spirit.

If, through experience, our trust is betrayed then we will change our actions towards the nation that abused the trust, whilst still maintaining our policy towards "strangers".[/b]

[i]An open letter to the people and leader of the Free Land of Cathari, from the desk of Roland Williams, administrative assistant to Paul Church, acting commander of the Antipolemarch Militia:[/i]

Please forgive me for interjecting myself into your ongoing communication with Commander Pope. The Commander's wife Mary has given birth to their fourth child, a beautify baby girl christened Joan Pope, and the Commander has returned to Armed Society. Deputy Commander Paul Church was promoted to Acting Commander, and instructed me to carry on this valuable communication with any party interested in the Xenioshian crisis.

With all due respect, you still appear to fundamentally misunderstand our mission here. We are not concerned with your assessment of any "right to intervene in the running of a another sovereign nation and impose rules upon it." Neither are we concerned with "moralistic pontification." As Commander Pope's prior dispatches have made clear, our volunteers are individuals with their own reasons to risk their lives on foreign soil. Commander Pope, you may recall, is a follower of Jesus Christ who sought refuge in Armed Society when Xenioshian aggression decimated his homeland. The Polemarch severed the Commander's connections with lifelong friends who were exiled or killed at the Polemarch's command. Most of our volunteers have similar histories. Much of our funding and materiel is sourced from Armed Society's Jewish community, including exhiles and survirors from countries subjugated by the Polemarch. This grand alliance of Christian and Jewish individuals has one mission: ensure that Armed Society is never threatened by the Polemarch. The Polemarch's recent defeat and resurfacing as the "Regent" of a child King is evidence enough that only detention and trial in a court currently being set up by interested parties will suffice to remove the threat the Polemarch poses to us and the world at large.

Furthermore, there is no risk that our mission may be "dangerous to the health of [ ]our state" as you suggest. Armed Society has thrived without the trappings of a State, as Nobody recounted in his introductory message. The Militia is here to complete its own objectives. The citizens of Armed Society understand what they risk by living in a country that has no laws barring the creation of expeditionary militia forces. For its part, the Militia maintains that capturing the Polemarch by any means necessary will reduce the foreign threat to Armed Society, where our lack of laws and majority ethnic Jewish population have led to Judaism being recognized as the de facto national religion.

Finally, I must respond to your salacious allegation that we are here for "the raiding of technology." My predessesor in this communication ignored the slight, but after ceaseless inquiries from home I have decided to comment to the people of Armed Society and foreign observers: if we wanted to raid technology, why would we destroy so much of the Polemarch's infrastructure with bombing raids?

Yours truly,
Roland Williams
Administrative Assistant to Paul Church, Acting Commander of the Antipolemarch Militia

[hr]

In the short time since the Antipolemarch Militia's last attack, a foreign force arrived and devastated the remaining Polemarch loyalists. The force arrived under cover and we could not identify their origin, but we suspect that the invaders belonged to one of the States at war with Xenios: Ishiki, Panacea, New Oceania, Colours, or Kalmar. The foreign attack disrupted the Antipolemarch Militia's humanitarian efforts, and left the Polemarch with only 13.08 infrastructure and one loyalist soldier. It will be a number of hours before the dust settles and we know if another wave of attacks is feasible.

[quote name='Armed Society' timestamp='1353193944' post='3053874']
The citizens of Armed Society understand what they risk by living in a country that has no laws barring the creation of expeditionary militia forces.
[/quote]

If you have no laws, then under what authority and for contravening what laws would you put the Polemarch on trial when/if you capture him?

[quote name='Igumen' timestamp='1353194563' post='3053876']
If you have no laws, then under what authority and for contravening what laws would you put the Polemarch on trial when/if you capture him?
[/quote]

I have received an inquiry regarding Armed Society trial procedure, and republish this description for foreign perusal. Trials are common in Armed Society, even thought there is no authoritative body of law for arbiter reference. This tradition was established at the very beginning of Armed Society, during a violent feud between prominent Sephardi and a Mizrahi families. The families called on an Ashkenazi mediator to bring an end to the bloodshed, and agreed with each other to be bound by the mediator's advice.

The mediator determined that the feud began with the possibly accidental death of a member of one of the families. The damaged family had no criminal court to turn to, and decided that the other family would be in the same position if they exacted revenge. However, the second family was not satisfied that the death was properly investigated, and maintained its innocence. The mediator suggested the one or both parties investigate and attempt to establish the truth in the most transparent manner possible. The concept of an Armed Society trial was born.

The trial is not a state-sponsored affair. It does not seek to make legal decisions, but only establish facts while building a record of every piece of evidence taken to establish those facts. A transparent trial is simply an insurance measure for a party planning to take action that does not want to face the wrath of other parties who believe they did so in error.

Thus, while the Antipolemarch militia intends to absolutely ensure the end of the Polemarch's threat through execution, it is in the process of creating a trial procedure for the Polemarch. Any potential allies of the Polemarch within Armed Society will be assured that, even if they disagree with the Militia's decision, it was not made in factual error. It is likely that the Polemarch's trial will focus on ensuring the rest of Armed Society that enough evidence exists to prove the following:

The individual in the Antipolemarch Militia custody is in fact the Polemarch;
The Polemarch was in a position to give orders injuring the interested parties;
The Polemarch gave such orders.

[quote] A transparent trial is simply an insurance measure for a party planning to take action that does not want to face the wrath of other parties who believe they did so in error.[/quote]

I believe the show trial you are planning will be transparent in ways you do not intend or wish for.

The legal history of your nation is interesting, but what has it got to do with the legislature that governs other nations?

I have looked at the previous attempt to put the Polemarch on trial. Much of its failure has been put down to the way it was handled by the self-appointed judge: Winner12345. However, amid the farce I think the main objection put forward is forgotten: there is no body of law that governs the Cyberverse and all the nations within it. There is no legal basis for one nation, or even a group of nations, to put on trial another nation that is not a member of their own alliance.

What political trials of national leaders like this do, historically, is simply mete out "victor's justice"; a more appropriate word would simply be: revenge. This is even admitted by yourself, as you've already stated your intention to "execute" the Polemarch. In fact, what you intend to do is murder him under the semblance of legality. But there is no legal basis for a nation to kidnap the leader of another and execute him.

Edited by Igumen

Why you think anyone in Armed Society cares about "the semblance of legality" is beyond me. We are unique among nations in that we coexist in relative peace without demanding the protection of laws. Many citizens of Armed Society object to Commander Pope's decision to pursue execution of the Polemarch, but we understand the Commander's position. The Commander may face resistance in the future, which is why he is following the tradition and working to establish a trial so that the Commander's motives and evidence will be preserved in a trustworthy record.

Since the trial process' popularization, revenge crimes have vastly decreased. Something about having to read a thousand-page file to see why someone exacted revenge on another for a perceived crime tends to stop the cycle of revenge in its tracks. If Commander Pope cares enough to gather over 500 volunteers for his effort, he is unlikely to encounter anyone in Armed Society opposed to his decision to remove the perceived threat of the Polemarch.

[quote name='Armed Society' timestamp='1353197393' post='3053901']
The Commander may face resistance in the future, which is why he is following the tradition and working to establish a trial so that the Commander's motives and evidence will be preserved in a trustworthy record.
[/quote]

Are you talking about internal resistance (which let's be honest: is unlikely), or resistance from other nations on Bob? If the latter then I will repeat: your trial will be transparent in ways you do not want.

Plus, why would a nation with no "protection from laws" and, seemingly, no state-apparatus, have citizens who [b][i]"pay extremely high taxes and many despise their government as a result." [/i][/b]?

Edited by Igumen

I was speaking of internal resistance. Citizens who disagree with the Commander's organization of an expeditionary force may very well seek to enforce their own personal justice on him and his family. The trial tradition, interestingly enough, has made citizens less likely to extract revenge out of consideration for preventing turning one or two injuries into many more. As for external resistance, Armed Society has yet to encounter this issue, but I reiterate that we all understand the risks of living in a country that other States might hold responsible for the expeditionary actions of a minority, like the Antipolemarch Militia.

On your second point, I direct you again to my first communication: "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Various militias and the air force program are funded by a voluntary income tax with an astounding 78% compliance rate." It is hard to explain precisely why voluntary taxpayers might still despise the tax-collection authority. My personal take as a compliant taxpayer is that I despise 90% of what my taxes are spent on, but I still view the unified tax as a necessary evil lest it become slightly more difficult for me to fund the 10% of programs I [i]do[/i] agree with. I also donate a significant amount of my resources to measures which are not funded by the unified income tax.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Armed Society' timestamp='1353198897' post='3053924']
On your second point, I direct you again to my first communication: "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Various militias and the air force program are funded by a voluntary income tax with an astounding 78% compliance rate." It is hard to explain precisely why voluntary taxpayers might still despise the tax-collection authority. My personal take as a compliant taxpayer is that I despise 90% of what my taxes are spent on, but I still view the unified tax as a necessary evil lest it become slightly more difficult for me to fund the 10% of programs I [i]do[/i] agree with. I also donate a significant amount of my resources to measures which are not funded by the unified income tax.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

The "extended Bio" of your nation is not written by you, and is more of a "factbook" entry based upon what is actually happening on the ground in your country. So whilst I would believe you if you were to say your citizens are hard working, I am less inclined to believe that "extremely high taxes" are paid voluntarily. If they were low, then perhaps citizens might pay taxes even though "90%" of the government's programs were despised. But a tax rate of over 25%? A quarter of your earnings going to fund something you "despise"?

I find your government system interesting, and that is not something that can be said for the vast majority of nations within Bob. However, it seems you have displayed once again that political ideology - all political ideology - is destructive, because it causes people to lie: to others and themselves, in order to justify their unshakable convictions. And once we lie, we commit an act of spiritual violence against ourselves, because we begin to slowly smother our own conscience. Perhaps you already feel your conscience's sickening convulsions in the depth of your being, as you slowly asphyxiate it under the tonnage of self-justifications and half-truths.

You have no reason to listen to me or take anything I say seriously. But you have considered my words up to now, which is evidenced in your considered replies. Ultimately, it is not the exchange between you and I that is important, but between you, your conscience, and God.

Edited by Igumen

Assault, like every other activity, is not barred in Armed Society. Voluntary tax compliance doubled once the tax collectors started publishing a list of non-compliant citizens. I surmise these two facts are related, although having committed the thought to words now I can understand how you might think we use the term "voluntary" a bit loosely.

Ultimately, what matters to the people of Armed Society is that we have grown rapidly, per capita income is high, and our population happiness has never been higher. Commander Pope may be questioned for leading so many to their deaths for pure revenge - I am fighting fit myself, but did not enlist in the Antipolemarch Militia because I too question his methods - but the people of Armed Society believe the future is bright, and all of us will rest easier once we know the Polemarch will never be able to invade us or our neighbors.

[hr]
[i]A televised address from Gabriel Pope, Commander of the Antipolemarch Militia:[/i]

People of Armed Society, I want to thank you for your support. I am happy to report that the Polemarch, for the time being, is no longer a threat to Armed Society, to tolerant Christians like myself, or to Planet Bob's Jewish diaspora. The Polemarch and his King are presumed dead. They may be in hiding, but I guarantee to watch Xenios from this day forward to ensure the Polemarch's reign of terror never again defaces this planet. I have placed $6 million and 100 tech of my personal cash and assets into a trust, with the express purpose of aiding friendly States should the Polemarch resume power but be too weak for us to attack him ourselves.

In addition to the people of Armed Society at large, I must thank my brave volunteers and their families. We honor in particular the 87 volunteers who paid the ultimate sacrifice. Their families will have priority access to a separate trust created out of cash looted from the Polemarch and his loyalists.

Finally, I want to personally thank the leaders of the Free Land of Cathari and Hello Automatic. They and I agree on at least one fundamental principle: rational discourse is always worthwhile. I am proud to have joined Nobody, Mr. Williams, and the esteemed Igumen and longnameislonger in Armed Society's first diplomatic communications. The world appears more ready than we expected to comprehend the bonds that tie individuals of Armed Society together and carry on diplomatic relations accordingly.

Edited by Armed Society

[quote name='Armed Society' timestamp='1353209879' post='3054003']
Finally, I want to personally thank the leaders of the Free Land of Cathari and Hello Automatic. They and I agree on at least one fundamental principle: rational discourse is always worthwhile. I am proud to have joined Nobody, Mr. Williams, and the esteemed Igumen and longnameislonger in Armed Society's first diplomatic communications. The world appears more ready than we expected to comprehend the bonds that tie individuals of Armed Society together and carry on diplomatic relations accordingly.
[/quote]

Sure, keep in touch.

[i]From the desk of Paul Church, acting commander of the Antipolemarch Militia:[/i]

In the last two days, four air raids and four cruise missile attacks have destroyed the remainder of the Polemarch's infrastructure. The Polemarch, if he is even alive, has nowhere to hide. We suspect the Polemarch and his puppet King are dead or have fled the country. With Commander Pope's approval, I have ordered the withdrawal of all combat troops from Xenios. We have opened lines of communication with representatives of the Xenoshian people so we can monitor and possibly assist their recovery effort. Mission accomplished!

Edited by Armed Society

Due to the large amount of Xenios refugees, the NSR has closed it's borders. Any more refugees trying to enter the country will be treated as illegal immigrants. None of the Xeinos refugees will be allowed citizenship. In approximatly 2 months, all Xeinos must leave the NSR and will be given two weeks to do so. Whoever remains after the two week period will be forcibly removed from the country.

[u][b]Zacharias recently spoke at a press conference concerning the matter[/b][/u]

"Since the first attacks on Xenos commenced, we could tell the Polemarch regime would end. With that, we knew there would be refugees flocking to the country. We suspected a few hundred and made the correct preparations. However, within a few days, there was an approximate number of 800 Xenothians in the refugee camps, and increasing by about 30 people everyday. The resources we set aside for the refugees were suppose to last for about 6 months. The supplies are now only going to last for another month. If the Xenothians were still allowed unrestriced relocation, we would have to take more resources from our populace, therefore putting our own citizens in danger. Therefore, after a month of voting, as a populace, 89% of New Soviets agree with shutting our borders to the Xenothians. Also, all Xenios refugees must leave the country in two months or be removed by the NSR military. We hope everyone understands and respects our decision."