Water Music on the Thames

Sarah Tintagyl

[quote]

[center][img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2e/Coat_of_Arms_of_England_%28-1340%29.svg/170px-Coat_of_Arms_of_England_%28-1340%29.svg.png[/img][/center]

[i]Dearest Esteemed Leader,

May this invitation find you well and your country in good spirits. I, Jane the Second, Queen of East Anglia am pleased to issue this missive to you in hopes of your attendance at a Royal Ball held on the Thames River in commemoration of our Royalist Army's victory over the rebellion started by the treasonous villain the Duke of Essex. The celebration will take place in a month's time and I do hope that Your Excellency will be able to attend in my hopes of meeting friends from across the world as well as strangers who I am most anxious to meet and introduce to the humble English court. I can only hope that your entourages are large as the royal barges commissioned for this event will take up a great portion of the river. There will be, of course, singing, dancing, feasting, and all manner of merry-making as we sail down the river which has become the lifeblood of London and the very veins of the English economy.

Our world, Excellency, is changing and as leaders we have few times to truly sit back and relax with our compatriots. Great announcements on the future of Britain will be made and I hope you will join me for this very memorable evening.

Living quarters in Buckingham Palace will be provided for those guests who arrive early and all manner of diversions will be available. I can only imagine that the next month will be one I will not soon forget.

I await your answer with great anticipation.

With Great Sincerity,

Jane of East Anglia[/i]
[/quote]

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote]Dear Queen Jane II,

Grand Master Ryu and Prince Leopold have informed me of their intention to remain in your country for some time and will attend the ball. In addition it is my pleasure to inform you that Executor Ding will personally be leading the 4th Chinese Treasure Fleet on a goodwill mission to the British Isles. With your permission the Executor and some of the officers will also be attending.

Regards,

On Behalf of The Ruling Council of the Empire of Tianxia[/quote]

[quote]
[i]Your excellency,[/i]
[i]
[/i]
[i]Duke Raghnall has received your invitation to London, and would be happy to attend this celebration of Essex' defeat. He will be arriving with his entourage, which includes only two knights: a squire and a a scribe. He will be riding for London two days after this letter has been sent.[/i]
[i]
[/i]
[i]Sir Margh Couch, for Duke Raghnall of Cornwall[/i]
[/quote]

[quote]To the East Anglian Queen, the esteemed Jane II of Grey,

As we hear of your victory over the Duke of Essex, we shall attend your evening of celebrations and merry-making, to congratulate you personally on this astonishing feat and to listen to what a Queen of East Anglia wants to say on the future of England or the whole of the Isles. The French already once sent the Daughter of the House Orleans-Autriche-Este, Elene to your court and her report, combined with these achievements shall be well worth taking a leave from the usual affairs I have to take care of. Therefor, I look forward to meet you in London, when our entourage shall arrive.

May you understand it in its most benevolent intent in which this was written,

[font="Monotype Corsiva"][size="3"]Charles Louis d'Orleans-Autriche-Este[/size][/font][/quote]

[quote]To Your Royal Highness Jane the Second,

We wish your victory the largest congratulations possible, and shall have some of our more esteemed people attend the celebrations.

- Grand Papua Ministry of Foreign Affairs[/quote]

[quote][i]To the most honorable Queen Jane II of East Anglia,

Your Majesty,

On the behalf of the Confederation of Derry, and King Brian Ó Néill, I congratulate you on suppressing the degenerate know as the Duke of Essex. Before I leave London I shall attend these victory celebrations with great honour.

With best regards,

[font="Garamond"][size="4"]William Deane, Earl of Donegal[/size][/font][/i][/quote]

Of course, the upcoming ball was the talk of the city, at the very least. Anyone who was anyone knew about it, not to mention the common people, who looked upon the preparations with no little envy. Obviously, many wished they could attend.

Among the people that heard, of course, was Anthony Grey, the Earl of Kent, who had arrived in the city shortly before the end of the rebellion. He'd been just a little too late for the original showy entrance he'd planned on giving, but of course he was one who believed opportunities were constantly presenting themselves.

As such, in the middle of the preparations before the main event, he showed up at the palace, uninvited and unannounced, to present himself to the Queen, dressed in his finest red, silver, and gold clothing, the plumed hat on his head, and of course the silver-colored patch over his left eye. He would, if asked, surrender his weapons and tell his guards to remain outside, though of course with a show of great reluctance. He never did anything without making some kind of show out of it.

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

[quote][i]To the Esteemed Queen of East Anglia, Jane the Second,

It is with great honor to travel back to London once again to see the magnificent city. I'm sure my nephew would love to see you safe and sound after the troubling war you had gone through. We, the people of Northumbria, congratulate you on your well-earned victory over the Duke of Essex and fears of you being an inefficient ruler are subsiding. We look forward to seeing you at the ball in London. My brother, Ida, his son, William, and I, Frithuwald II, will attend this glorious event in the name of the Kingdom. Possibly we could talk of advancing our mutual friendship and private alliance further as well?

With the utmost regards,
Frithuwald II
King of Northumbria
[/i][/quote]

[quote]Queen Jane II,

First of all I must congratulate you on a well deserved victory and another display of your divine right to rule England. I would happily attend the events planned and look forward to meeting you in person.

Sincerely,
Ariadne Notaras of Heraclius[/quote]

"So you really intend to go and partake in the celebration then?", "Yes Donald I do and that is my final word" replied Malcolm as he walked away leaving a very annoyed Donald to shake his head in concern.

[quote]To the respectable Queen Jane the Second of East Anglia

It is with honour and satisfication that I humbly accept your invitation to this upcoming ball and I shall be attending with my eldest son and daughter as well as a handful of guards and subjects. I look forward to hearing what you have planned and to meeting you in person.

My Regards

King Malcolm of Scotland[/quote]

[quote][i]Jane of East Anglia,[/i]

In recognition of your victory and ensuring the stability of your state, and indeed, perhaps the British Isles, the Confederacy of the Atlantic is currently dispatching a delegation to your well-deserved celebration. Vice President Marcelus Pitt will be in attendance, along with a token group of Confederacy officials, and all of our delegates look forward to these celebrations with enthusiasm and vigor. We hope that our delegation's presence may, in part, lead to a development of further formal relations between our two countries in the future.

I apologize for my own absence, but these uncertain times dictate my attention in North America, and I sincerely hope that the presence of my vice president and various officials will suffice for my nation's contribution to your celebration of victory.

[i]Martin Gibbs
President of the Confederacy
Ranking Member of the Honorable Parliament of the Atlantic[/i][/quote]

[quote]Queen Jane of East Anglia,

It is with great pleasure that we in the Imperium receive this message from you, and I look forward to attending your ball in the name of the Imperium, with a few select members of my aristocracy and military.

Deepest congratulations,

Empress Mara I Lithaen,
Northern Imperium
[/quote]

[quote name='Subtleknifewielder' timestamp='1334265403' post='2951593']
Of course, the upcoming ball was the talk of the city, at the very least. Anyone who was anyone knew about it, not to mention the common people, who looked upon the preparations with no little envy. Obviously, many wished they could attend.

Among the people that heard, of course, was Anthony Grey, the Earl of Kent, who had arrived in the city shortly before the end of the rebellion. He'd been just a little too late for the original showy entrance he'd planned on giving, but of course he was one who believed opportunities were constantly presenting themselves.

As such, in the middle of the preparations before the main event, he showed up at the palace, uninvited and unannounced, to present himself to the Queen, dressed in his finest red, silver, and gold clothing, the plumed hat on his head, and of course the silver-colored patch over his left eye. He would, if asked, surrender his weapons and tell his guards to remain outside, though of course with a show of great reluctance. He never did anything without making some kind of show out of it.
[/quote]

"Majesty?"

Jane looked up beyond the heads of her ladies as they ran white and red lace around her body. "What is it Steward? I am rather preoccupied at present."

"Forgive the intrusion," the servant said as he bowed, "But your cousin, Lord Anthony has arrived. He has asked an audience whenever you see fit."

Instantly the Queen closed her eyes and with a heavy sigh waved her ladies away as she walked over to a silk robe that she threw over her shoulders. Jane sat down in her chair and pressed the tops of her fingers against her nose. "One cousin dies. Twelve more arise to take his place."

"The Greys are not as cunning as the Woodvilles, Majesty."

Jane looked up and smiled at her Steward, "You forget. I am a Grey."

---

The Queen did not bother to overly dress to receive her cousin and in fact, Lord Anthony was guided to Jane's private study where she sat lazily in her chair as he was walked into the room. Resting her head on the top of her hand, she looked at him with a smile. "And what do I owe the pleasure of your presence? Funny to think that you were seemingly nowhere while Robert and the rest of his ilk laid waste to the countryside and now that his head is sitting outside of Westminster you come to find me." She pointed at a chair across the room. "Well Anthony, what do you want?"

[quote name='Sarah Tintagyl' timestamp='1334290418' post='2951826']
"Majesty?"

Jane looked up beyond the heads of her ladies as they ran white and red lace around her body. "What is it Steward? I am rather preoccupied at present."

"Forgive the intrusion," the servant said as he bowed, "But your cousin, Lord Anthony has arrived. He has asked an audience whenever you see fit."

Instantly the Queen closed her eyes and with a heavy sigh waved her ladies away as she walked over to a silk robe that she threw over her shoulders. Jane sat down in her chair and pressed the tops of her fingers against her nose. "One cousin dies. Twelve more arise to take his place."

"The Greys are not as cunning as the Woodvilles, Majesty."

Jane looked up and smiled at her Steward, "You forget. I am a Grey."

---

The Queen did not bother to overly dress to receive her cousin and in fact, Lord Anthony was guided to Jane's private study where she sat lazily in her chair as he was walked into the room. Resting her head on the top of her hand, she looked at him with a smile. "And what do I owe the pleasure of your presence? Funny to think that you were seemingly nowhere while Robert and the rest of his ilk laid waste to the countryside and now that his head is sitting outside of Westminster you come to find me." She pointed at a chair across the room. "Well Anthony, what do you want?"
[/quote]
Anthony shook his head, adopting as much of a look of dismay one such as him ever gave as he addressed her by her formal title. "Your Majesty, you wound me," the young Earl said, theatrically clasping his hands over his heart as if shot through the chest. "Have you no trust? I made all haste to London as soon as I heard of that dastardly affair with the rebellion, only to find you had departed and the fighting ended before I and my personal levies could join your forces on the battlefield. You have no idea how much this vexes me, being unable to come to your aid in your time of greatest need."

He removed the hat and bowed his head, reaching for her hand so he could kiss it. "As for what I want now...it is simply to pledge my eternal loyalty to the cause of serving your throne, of course."

"A lot of good your service does for me now, cousin." Jane leaned back in her chair and extended her hand so that he could kiss it. After he was done with the act, she swiftly pulled it away. "That said, there will be other campaigns in the future. We will be securing the rest of Mercia and Wessex. Beyond that, the hills of Cornwall and Wales, you can be used in the field there. So now that you've pledged your loyalty," Jane said standing up from her chair, "You may bring your household guard to where Lord Uxbridge has made camp outside of London. Is there anything else, cousin, on your mind or did you just come to kiss my hand?"

[quote]Our revolutionary comrade Jane of Grey,

With our recent history facing treacherous upstarts Procinctia celebrates East Anglia’s victory over the villainous Duke of Essex.
Judging betrayal against betrayal of justice!
Your achievement may yet represent England’s new course.
We pray your isles retain self determination for all Britons from continental yokes.
Continue to stand with the righteous and the righteous will continue to stand with you.

Procinctia has long associated with legitimate English rulers from Margaret Thatcher to Sean Connery. . .
Procinctia has acknowledged all variety of British nations from Proxia to the Welsh Empire. . .
Today we carry on by formally recognizing East Anglia.
Congratulations on your belated Procinctian recognition.

Your invitation honors us, yet. . . Procinctia, currently in exile, lacks what you would call a head-of-state.
Despite this oversight someone representing our government-in-exile will attend your royal ball.

Procinctia-In-Exile [/quote]

Edited by Generalissimo

As he released her hand again, he stepped back, though he did not don his cap again. "Alas, if I had been able to speed my journey, I would have been by your side in a trice," he protested volubly. "If for nothing else than to personally deal with our traitorous relative." His hand reflexively reached to pat at the spot where his rapier would have been strapped to his side, only at the last second to remember it wasn't there right now.

His smile grew more relaxed, less showy, though, as she accepted his service. "You do me honor, cousin. I and my men will gladly serve as you see fit. In the interim..." he grinned widely, once again mashing the hat back onto his head. "I hear you are planning a spectacular ball in honor of the victory against those ruffians. You know me. It would not be a proper celebration without me in attendance, am I correct?"

And his presence might, even, prove useful. Despite his foppish, overly theatrical manner, he did possess a keen, observant mind. He just wasn't fond of showing it to those outside the family. Combine that with his usual mannerisms, and people might just relax and let their guard down a little around him, and let something slip they otherwise would not.

"I can think," Jane started, "Of various other ways that you could humor yourself that night. However, yes, as my cousin you are allowed to attend. That said Anthony, I am in the middle of getting fitted and you scared my ladies away. If you would be so kind as to excuse yourself. I will see you at the ball in due time." She bowed and gestured towards the door. "Good day, cousin."

"Me, scare someone? Surely you jest, Your Majesty. Still, if you speak in earnest, please convey to them my humblest apologies." Anthony bowed from the waist. "I look forward to the celebration. Perhaps there we will have a chance to speak further, to speak of things since we last saw one another."

With that, he grinned, bid her farewell, and turned on his heel to marched out and deliver her orders to his men.

Sir Hawkwood was at his small estate outside of London when news came of the Queen's celebration. He sighed and turned to his wive and said, "I don't think I'll be home for long, I suspect it would be rude for me not to attend this event."

"Well, at least I'll be able to attend it with you," Lady Ashley replied.

"Hard to imagine a rough country squire such as myself rubbing elbows with the various leaders of continent and the other unconquered lands of the world," Sir Hawkwood said as he briefly reminisced upon his humble beginning as a common soldier in an army led by Lady Ashley's father.

"Well it was to my great fortune my father elevated you to knighthood and even more so he allowed his only daughter struck with love to marry you," Lady Ashley responded as she continued with her needle point.

"Damn fortunate that," Sir Hawkwood agreed.

"Johnathan, will there ever be a time you'll be able to retire to your estate and spend your days as a gentleman of your years should?"

"Lusting after younger women?"

"Not if you are fond of your privates."

"Drinking my days away?"

"I haven't seen you drink an entire glass of wine in years. You are more of a Calvanist than I have ever been."

"What am I to do then?"

"There is a small University just down the road. They'd love to have you as a lecturer," Lady Ashley replied.

"Isn't it a Jesuit College?"

"Yes, and the good father himself was here taking tea with me just last week. He informs me that they'd love to have man versed in various languages as a lecturer, providing you can keep your heretical thoughts to yourself," Lady Ashley replied with a graceful grin.

"I'm merely 47 years of age, I do think I have a few years left in me."

"I'll allow you exactly two more years of marching about this way and that. Exactly two, after that you will tender your resignation to the Queen and return to your estate and take up your place as a proper gentleman," Lady Ashley stated. Her fears had grown over the years as she watched her husband march off to various campaigns time and time again. She had watched her mother live through the same with her father, though her mother seem relieved to see her father ride away, and saddened to see him return.[i] What sort of life would I have if I had been married off to increase the fortunes of my father? My mother hated him, but he loved her with everything inside of him, loved her enough to not allow me to be married off into some soul crushing union to increase the family fortunes.[/i]

"Could be worst, you could be one of those ambitious types and try to get me into Parliament."

"I married you out of love my dear, I'm not that eager to see you off that quickly, do try to remember that."

"Tis the god's truth that is," Sir Hawkwood laughed as his eyes roamed his study that is heaped with books. His two hobbies were learning languages and reading. For a man of his era he was fairly well traveled having seen much of the continent and a few places further abroad. [i]I suppose sacking a place is just as good as visiting it[/i], he thought to himself as he lost himself in thought. [i]I'm also damn fortunate the Queen is generous sort. She could have had me head off just like the Duke's god curse the man to hell[/i], he thought bitterly as he reflected on his anger towards the Duke and what a disappointment the Duke turned out to be. [i]Good fortune the Duke's father passed away last year, it would have killed him to see what his son became.[/i]

Edited by Tidy Bowl Man

Duke Raghnall arrived precisely as he predicted, a few days after his letter of intent would have reached Queen Jane. He arrived in the style of a classed up warrior. He was dressed in the finest clothes his family name would allow him, sword at his side, and his knights in the finest chain available for Cornwall. He rode up to Buckingham palace, greeted the guard, and requested entrance.

"I am Raghnall, Duke of Cornwall. I have sent for lodging for the ball, and I request entrance to Buckingham Palace."

[quote]
[i]To Queen Jane II of East Anglia[/i]

Greetings!

The Californian Republic sends their best wishes to your victory and ensuring the stability of your nation in the British Isles. California will dispatch Secretary of State Kevin O'Malley on the next available Clipper ship departing Drogheda to the Isles. They shall partake in the celebrations and will formally represent the interests of California if you so desire to develop relations with us.

Unfortunately for myself and Vice President Coleain, we have pressing issues to attend to at home during an election year. I hope you understand the pressures of democracy and sincerely hope Secretary O'Malley is suffice for your celebration.

Best Regards,

Colin Farren
President of the Californian Republic

[/quote]

Down the streets of London trotted the four participants in the party. From Marscurian Siberia arrived the soldiers Viktor Reznov, Dmitri Petrenko, and Mikhail Kamen. With them was the emissary from Cyrantia, Dmitri Garin. All four wore their heavy fur cloaks over their best clothes, with beards and unkempt hair acquired from their weeks transversing the forests of Siberia and the steppes of Eastern Europe before finally catching a ship to London. Entering the city on the moose that they rode on their journey, they were certainly an unusual sight. Arriving at the palace, Reznov, Kamen, and Garin rode up the the guards at the gate.

"!מיר האָבן געפארן פון די ווייַט מיזרעך צו באַפרייַען איר דעם גרוס פון זיין קייסעריש מאַדזשאַסטי, מיכאַיל, כאַגאַן פון מאַרסקוריש סיבעריאַ" Reznov announced, looking down at the people at the gate.

Kamen, the polyglot of the group, translated the Yiddish into English with a heavy accent. "Sergeant Reznov say that we have traveled from the far east to deliver you the greeting of his imperial majesty, Mikhail, Khagan of Marscury Siberia."

"Я также принести касается и приветствие Его Высочества, канцлер," Garin said.

"Mister Garin say that he also brings the regards and greetings of his highness, the chancellor," Kamen added.

Over the course of a month, London saw the arrival of many guests from across the Isles, the Continent, and the World. Buckingham Palace swarmed with guests who would find themselves well taken care of during the preparation of the ball itself. Jane planned it to be a night of elegant spectacle and the various barges which would carry her guests would cover the entire river while a firework barge sailed at the front of the luxurious fleet. The ships were all connected by various wooden bridges to allow passage from one barge to another, in case one found themselves too cramped by the dancing and feasting.

The night of the ball, the guests who had arrived and the guests who were still arriving from their respected nations would be escorted down to the London Wharfs where the various royal barges floated, their torch lights flickering up into the darkened night sky. English guards were posted at the entrance to the Wharfs where they would take invitations, in addition to checking the ball's patrons for weapons and other items which might be used to cause harm to other guests or the Queen herself. All the barges were designed to be similar, on the outer walkways there was room for quiet conversation, smoking, and promenading, along with a few guards patrolling the walkways. Within the barges, a great open room existed in the middle where the dancing would take place, along the outline of the interior were tables for eating and where the symphony Jane had commissioned to perform. Orchestras from across England were commissioned to play for the various barges lined up to float down the Thames.

Inside the Royal Barge itself a throne was set at the front of the vessel where Jane would sit to watch over the floor, Uxbridge, Suffolk, and hopefully Hawkwood at her side; they were after all, the heroes of the Rebellion and they would be honored.

"Master George," she said turning to the Orchestra conductor, "If you would please begin the music. I believe the captain has mentioned we will sail soon. I think a Prelude would be nice."

"Of course, Your Majesty." Said the Maestro as he turned to the musicians. "Gentlemen, if you please."

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYLBN_Y6Olo"]Handel's Water Music - Prelude in D Major[/url]

With the burst of violins and harpsichords and other instruments the barges came to life and slowly began to drift down the Thames, their torches illuminating them in the twilight sweeping over the city.

Jane paused the music for a moment as she stood up from her throne, bringing the attention of the guests upon herself and she cleared her throat. "Lords and Ladies, Distinguished guests all, I bid you welcome tonight to London and to the Thames. It is a great honor that you have all made it and many of you who arrived only today, I hope the chance comes tonight that I will be able to make many acquaintances. That said, there is food available and if no one else is opposed to the idea I would like to be the first to say, may the dancing commence."

...and the ball began.