"Arrogant" GATO completes elections

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Gibsonator21' timestamp='1330658144' post='2931645']
You were already gov, and I'm pretty sure I congratulated you on it last time. Couldn't say "Yay Lanore is back in gov." :P
[/quote]

xD you never call, you never write, sheesh.

Also damn you Tim for getting "Do something about it " before me.

Good to be back, thanks for the votes guys.

o/ A great term
o/ GATO
[quote name='Dochartaigh' timestamp='1330634218' post='2931436']
Sexy gov line-up GATO. Congrats to IG for making gov!!! Glad to see he is active again. :D Also, who seriously wants Kubla in gov.... :o <3 you Kubla.
[/quote]

Lovin' you baby

[quote name='Gibsonator21' timestamp='1330650618' post='2931593']
Yay, Kubla's back in gov! : ^_^
[/quote]

Whats new stranger?

[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1330654985' post='2931620']
The best part is this announcement could be taken entirely seriously and be true.
[/quote]

Uh oh! Looks like somebody needs a sense of humour transplant!

Edited by Laslo Kenez

[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1330804749' post='2932615']
this is just recycled "we eat babies rawrgh" type stuff.
[/quote]

GATO: arrogant [i]and[/i] environmentally responsible.

Oh, and I have a sense of humor, but this is just recycled "we eat babies rawrgh" type stuff.
[/quote]
The tried and true CN tactic of taking a reasonable criticism and pre-empting it with a hugely exaggerated joke straw man. Add several pages of people from the AA reinforcing the joke (e.g, "We're [i]literally [/i] monsters!") for maximum suppression of serious commentary.

Oh, and I have a sense of humor, but this is just recycled "we eat babies rawrgh" type stuff.
[/quote]
That is and always has been NPO's bit. We might be egotistical and pompous but we aren't plagiarists. We're too good for that.

[quote name='Prodigal Moon' timestamp='1330809811' post='2932669']
The tried and true CN tactic of taking a reasonable criticism and pre-empting it with a hugely exaggerated joke straw man. Add several pages of people from the AA reinforcing the joke (e.g, "We're [i]literally [/i] monsters!") for maximum suppression of serious commentary.
[/quote]

Translation: I'm going to analyse humour because I want to be a comedy hipster.

The real punchline is that every single person itt has called us arrogant has made no effort to actually confirm or talk to us about it. I have always been open to constructive criticism. But don't let a lack of evidence keep anyone from posting!

Edited by Laslo Kenez

[quote name='Laslo Kenez' timestamp='1330869850' post='2933177']
The real punchline is that every single person who has called us arrogant has made no effort to actually confirm it or talk to us about it. I have always been open to constructive criticism. But don't let a lack of evidence from posting!
[/quote]

That is such an arrogant statement. Rabble rabble rabble.

The real punchline is that every single person eho has called us arrogant has made no effort to actually confirm it or talk to us about. I have always been open to constructive criticism. But don't let a lack of evidence from posting!
[/quote]

Such arrogance is true beauty. It brings tears to my eyes. :wub:

[quote name='Ironfist' timestamp='1330855166' post='2933114']
Translation: I'm going to analyse humour because I want to be a comedy hipster.
[/quote]
People toss that word around a lot, but it seems to mean something different to everyone. In this case I can safely say I really don't what you mean at all.

The reason I even bothered to address the humor in this thread is because it bothers me to see GATO making a big joke out of its recent changes. There was once a time when you could count on GATO to be the voice of reason and diplomacy. They were a bit arrogant, yeah, but understandable given their size and history, and at least you knew they would be the last AA to unthinkingly tag along with the hegemony just to stay safe or to fit in with the in crowd. So to see GATO join a bloc that is known to be a satellite of DH/PB, and gleefully join along in a pre-emptive strike during a war over a 2-year-old grudge (even DoW'ing with "'Sup MHA?") is a bit unsettling. In fact, here's what you wrote at the time:

[quote name='Ironfist' timestamp='1323408553' post='2870420']
This certainly is a new GATO. Not sure if it's a [i]good[/i] one yet but good luck out there.
[/quote]

So I have no idea why you would want to try to dismiss my comment here considering it bears a lot of similarity to yours (i.e., a serious comment about GATO changing that breaks up everyone joking and congratulating themselves).

The real punchline is that every single person itt has called us arrogant...
[/quote]
Not true at all. I clearly implied incompetency.

[size="1"]In jest mid you. GATO isn't allowed to burn to the ground unless I rejoin.[/size]

[quote name='Prodigal Moon' timestamp='1330887013' post='2933266']
People toss that word around a lot, but it seems to mean something different to everyone. In this case I can safely say I really don't what you mean at all.

The reason I even bothered to address the humor in this thread is because it bothers me to see GATO making a big joke out of its recent changes. There was once a time when you could count on GATO to be the voice of reason and diplomacy. They were a bit arrogant, yeah, but understandable given their size and history, and at least you knew they would be the last AA to unthinkingly tag along with the hegemony just to stay safe or to fit in with the in crowd. So to see GATO join a bloc that is known to be a satellite of DH/PB, and gleefully join along in a pre-emptive strike during a war over a 2-year-old grudge (even DoW'ing with "'Sup MHA?") is a bit unsettling. In fact, here's what you wrote at the time:
[/quote]

- We have no ties to DH/PB alliances, but we did have a very long-standing relationship with TLR and ODN at the time, as well as a relationship that had really come together with The International (that had its own historical roots too). I believe if you carry over our Athens treaty into TLR, they're our oldest standing ally. So whether CnG is "known to be" (by you) a satellite bloc, of whichever fuzzy wall of villains you think it is, the last thing we can be accused of is jumping into bed with them

- We are still very diplomatic. As I said, if anyone actually engaged in diplomacy with me, I'd be happy to talk to them about most things. As a policy, we welcome constructive criticism. I do find the whole arrogance thing funny, because it's echo chamber rubbish designed to bring us down and divide us from our closest friends.

- The pre-emptive strike was to ensure the safety of our allies. The vast majority of the alliance has literally nothing against MHA, and that continues to be the case. I didn't write that DoW, but I suspect it was to draw eyes to the rather more interesting video we compiled for the event.

Essentially, try to validate your assumptions before you take them to heart. We'd all have a much better time for it.

[quote name='Laslo Kenez' timestamp='1330888464' post='2933277']
- We have no ties to DH/PB alliances, but we did have a very long-standing relationship with TLR and ODN at the time, as well as a relationship that had really come together with The International (that had its own historical roots too). I believe if you carry over our Athens treaty into TLR, they're our oldest standing ally. So whether CnG is "known to be" (by you) a satellite bloc, of whichever fuzzy wall of villains you think it is, the last thing we can be accused of is jumping into bed with them

- We are still very diplomatic. As I said, if anyone actually engaged in diplomacy with me, I'd be happy to talk to them about most things. As a policy, we welcome constructive criticism. I do find the whole arrogance thing funny, because it's echo chamber rubbish designed to bring us down and divide us from our closest friends.

- The pre-emptive strike was to ensure the safety of our allies. The vast majority of the alliance has literally nothing against MHA, and that continues to be the case. I didn't write that DoW, but I suspect it was to draw eyes to the rather more interesting video we compiled for the event.

Essentially, try to validate your assumptions before you take them to heart. We'd all have a much better time for it.
[/quote]
Here are my assumptions:
1) C&G rolls together
2) C&G faces no clear enemies and has no serious agenda or ambitions that would lead to them attacking or being attacked directly
3) When a bloc is not very ambitious or active, it will naturally end up [i]re[/i]acting based on its external ties (to whichever partners are the most active/ambitious/aggressive, or have the most enemies)
4) C&G's external ties that are most relevant to 3) are to DH/PB, and NPO
Therefore, chances are extremely high that major (re)actions taken by C&G will be based on their external ties to DH/PB and/or NPO.

I'm aware of who your treaty partners have been, but actually joining a bloc ("The most unified bloc in the world!") is a bit different from just having ties to it. Not to mention before you had Synergy, which had external ties in a completely different direction. It's not some huge leap to think that C&G is going to end up siding with DH/PB next war, and you will be right there alongside your blocmates.

I'll admit to using the term "diplomatic" loosely, to mean that you carried yourselves in a professional manner, "welcome[d] constructive criticism" (as you said), and treated war as an unfortunate last resort. All of this appears to me to have gone downhill in a big way recently, particularly in the DoW thread and now this one.

It doesn't matter whether or not GATO has treaties with DH. TLR and ODN do, and C&G is MADP.

And no, TimLee, Prodigal Moon's points were well laid out and I hope you're able to contest them.

[quote name='Prodigal Moon' timestamp='1330887013' post='2933266']
In this case I can safely say I really don't what you mean at all.
[/quote]

[quote]I can safely say I really don't what you mean at all.[/quote]

[quote]I really don't what you mean at all.[/quote]

[quote]I really don't what you mean[/quote]

[quote]I really don't what.[/quote]

[quote]what[/quote]

Roquentin: Previously INT had RIA/SOS treaties and ODN had Sparta, tying CnG to SF and XX. Also CnG being a puppet alliance for DH/PB would mean CnG has no ambition or goals of its own, which is patently false despite how much people from outside it would like to say otherwise.