The CN Grand Give

bros

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've had a good question brought up by one of our European friends. How does this work if you are donating in another currency...such as the Euro and are there any security issues that need to be addressed?

My personal guess is that there would be a conversion rate used much like purchasing something from another country on ebay. Also...I would like to know if you can donate through your paypal account...since it is one of the securest ways I know to purchase things online.

If someone could address these issues that would be great. Thanks! :)

[quote name='shergzus' timestamp='1328243393' post='2913596']
We've had a good question brought up by one of our European friends. How does this work if you are donating in another currency...such as the Euro and are there any security issues that need to be addressed?

My personal guess is that there would be a conversion rate used much like purchasing something from another country on ebay. Also...I would like to know if you can donate through your paypal account...since it is one of the securest ways I know to purchase things online.

If someone could address these issues that would be great. Thanks! :)
[/quote]

1. You donate in US currency. So use something like google to convert to your currency. No security issues I can think of. Remember to click "Include Fees in donation" or whatever it is.

2. You cannot donate via paypal, they only accept credit/debit cards (as long as they have visa/mastercard/discover/american express)

[quote name='Alterego' timestamp='1328111055' post='2912558']
Ive a lot of respect for people who do charity work or donate to charity without an audience to bear witness to their good deeds.
[/quote]
The reason it's being publicized is because it's a group effort. One person donating anonymously is well and good, but so far doing this has raised awareness and gotten donations from dozens of people who might not have otherwise known about the event. But I guess it's much more realistic to assume that MK is willing to spend hundreds, possibly thousands of dollars so people like them a little more?
[img]http://meru.xfury.net/images/aeris/aeris9_9L2.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Stetson' timestamp='1328248762' post='2913654']
The credit card company will automatically convert to dollars at the exchange rate of the day the transaction is placed.
[/quote]

That's what I thought.

Thanks Bros2 for the clarification concerning Paypal.
You know....since we have a whole month to do this in.....you just might be blown away by how much comes in! (You might have to raise the bar even more!)

I'm waiting to donate until my Discover Card kicks over into the next billing cycle. I'm also excited about the cause that you selected. One day my daughter maybe doing something very similar. She just got accepted for her Graduate Internship on the SLP/Cleft Palate team at Childrens Hospital in St. Louis for Spring Semester 2013. She's very interested in traveling around the world on a special medical team and helping children with their speech after coming through facial surgery or brain surgery.

Anyone trying to paint this as politically-motivated obviously does not know bros (or Archon) at all.

And [i]so what[/i] if it is PR? There are completely, utterly pointless e-peen contests on this board at every moment of every day. At least something [b]good[/b] will come of this one.

[quote name='TBRaiders' timestamp='1328345993' post='2914371']
We get our ADHD medicine for free these days and the savings really adds up.
[/quote]

Hey, I AM getting my medicine for free now! Medicaid started covering it :D

[quote name='shergzus' timestamp='1328368682' post='2914439']
That's what I thought.

You know....since we have a whole month to do this in.....you just might be blown away by how much comes in! (You might have to raise the bar even more!)

I'm waiting to donate until my Discover Card kicks over into the next billing cycle. I'm also excited about the cause that you selected. One day my daughter maybe doing something very similar. She just got accepted for her Graduate Internship on the SLP/Cleft Palate team at Childrens Hospital in St. Louis for Spring Semester 2013. She's very interested in traveling around the world on a special medical team and helping children with their speech after coming through facial surgery or brain surgery.
[/quote]

Yeah, I know I might have to raise the bar more. I'll be glad to. I used to have speech therapy.

[quote name='Doitzel' timestamp='1328371444' post='2914449']
Anyone trying to paint this as politically-motivated obviously does not know bros (or Archon) at all.

And [i]so what[/i] if it is PR? There are completely, utterly pointless e-peen contests on this board at every moment of every day. At least something [b]good[/b] will come of this one.
[/quote]

what the hell its a doitzel where did you come from

[quote name='shergzus' timestamp='1328368682' post='2914439']
That's what I thought.

[/quote]
Maybe someone that the community trusts that knows how to do it could set up a paypal account that people can use paypal to send money to, and then they forward it to DWB in their name.

[quote name='Azaghul' timestamp='1328387208' post='2914545']
Maybe someone that the community trusts that knows how to do it could set up a paypal account that people can use paypal to send money to, and then they forward it to DWB in their name.
[/quote]

Pleaseeee, that person would only do such a thing for PR points.

We'll all see right through it

[quote name='Azaghul' timestamp='1328387208' post='2914545']
[/quote]
This sort of thing usually ends up with the Paypal account being frozen. Don't do it.

[quote name='Sandwich Controversy' timestamp='1328485067' post='2915139']
This sort of thing usually ends up with the Paypal account being frozen. Don't do it.
[/quote]

If the person in charge of the account donates at least once a day, it might be viable. (And run the larger amounts by the person running the account before sending)

Here is what you have been waiting for with bated breath: THE GRAPHS!

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/hqN0M.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/uCGu9.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/3jSLa.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/8mxWR.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/RzG2W.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/kB769.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/JjJNd.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/cVs97.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/BUbwS.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/GRWw4.png[/IMG]

enjoy

[quote name='Marneus Calgar' timestamp='1328574785' post='2915702']
These stats are unnecessary.

This is obviously just another MK E-Peen contest. Would've been much less obvious without the stats.
[/quote]
Right, because MK is well known for having more money than everyone?

[quote name='Marneus Calgar' timestamp='1328574785' post='2915702']
These stats are unnecessary.

This is obviously just another MK E-Peen contest. Would've been much less obvious without the stats.
[/quote]

Did you even bother to read the entirety of the first post?

These stats are for fun.

Just because it's MK doesn't mean that it's inherently done to flaunt any sort of superiority.

I mean, they are superior to you, but they're also doing it for a good cause- and showing the community how much money they've actually managed to gather in a short week's time, and that alone warrants the sharing of the stats. Regardless, this is really impressive- especially so on the MK front.

Good work doing all this bros!

[quote name='ktarthan' timestamp='1328574988' post='2915706']
Right, because MK is well known for having more money than everyone?
[/quote]
No, but they're more known for thinking they're better than everyone and trying to prove it.

[quote name='Solanine' timestamp='1328575139' post='2915710']
I mean, they are superior to you,
[/quote]
Stopped at this. You're just trolling.

[quote name='ktarthan' timestamp='1328575368' post='2915714']
I would also like to point out that if MK had simply done an internal donation drive to avoid the whole "It's for PR!" shenanigans, the donation total thus far would have been cut in half. Publicity has its uses aside from personal gain.
[/quote]
Even if you had done it internally you would've made it public that you were doing it. Sure, it's a good thing that it was public as it added some extra funds, but I've also donated to the same cause, but I decided not to do it through MK because honestly I don't trust you. Especially after the stat posting just to show you're "superior" in some way.

[quote name='Marneus Calgar' timestamp='1328575749' post='2915722']
Even if you had done it internally you would've made it public that you were doing it. Sure, it's a good thing that it was public as it added some extra funds, but I've also donated to the same cause, but I decided not to do it through MK because honestly I don't trust you. Especially after the stat posting just to show you're "superior" in some way.
[/quote]
Wow. I'll leave this because really, mudslinging in a charity thread isn't my style.

[quote name='ktarthan' timestamp='1328576209' post='2915726']
Wow. I'll leave this because really, mudslinging in a charity thread isn't my style.
[/quote]
Saying I don't trust you is not mudslinging. It's a personal opinion. From what MK has shown in the past, present and will show in the future, you're very untrustworthy. Hence I donated an amount directly to the charity, not through a middleman.