This world is tiny now

Ogaden

Looking back at the Karma war, which involved a comparably large percentage of the planet.

NPO's coalition by April 26 2009:

Nations: 6,407
Nation Strength: 129,865,192
Average NS: 20,269
Nukes: 19,978
Score: 503.95

This was dwarfed by Karma as of April 28 2009:

Nations: 9,864
Nation Strength: 220,612,167
Average NS: 22,365
Nukes: 38,439
Score: 844.7

The ENTIRE 'Avengers' coalition of the modern day, which includes most of the world's power, is :

1843 nations
69,470,751 NS
37,694 Avg. NS
270.57 score

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's because we have been in an era of unprecedented peace. Hell, this is my first alliance war and I joined CN back in 2010. That tells you all you need know. Most people are not content to play a game where they Pay Bills every day, and after each 20 days collect taxes, and then do this for over a year. Most people just want to drop bombs. In fact, by February 2011 I was so bored with the whole thing I was ready to quit too, but then I was attacked by a rogue. This showed me the potential of the game to be entertaining, and I was willing to wait until now to actually drop bombs on a real enemy.

But not every noob gets the pleasure of being rogued 4 months into the soul crushing bill pay.

[quote name='James Dahl' timestamp='1324084217' post='2880196']
The ENTIRE 'Avengers' coalition of the modern day, which includes most of the world's power, is :

1843 nations
69,470,751 NS
37,694 Avg. NS
270.57 score
[/quote]

uhh thats not the ENTIRE Avengers coalition

[quote name='Aeros' timestamp='1324084628' post='2880201']
That's because we have been in an era of unprecedented peace. Hell, this is my first alliance war and I joined CN back in 2010. That tells you all you need know. Most people are not content to play a game where they Pay Bills every day, and after each 20 days collect taxes, and then do this for over a year. Most people just want to drop bombs. In fact, by February 2011 I was so bored with the whole thing I was ready to quit too, but then I was attacked by a rogue. This showed me the potential of the game to be entertaining, and I was willing to wait until now to actually drop bombs on a real enemy.

But not every noob gets the pleasure of being rogued 4 months into the soul crushing bill pay.
[/quote]

Uh, not really. During Karma everyone was complaining about how small the sides were compared to the days of the Initiative.

CN has been steadily dying since 2007 at a constant rate.

I forget what the stats were for the Initiative and the League but in those days it was not out of the question for a coalition to have 20,000 nations.

[quote name='Ninja Colt' timestamp='1324085578' post='2880214']
The Avengers
• Alliances: 64
• Nation Count: 5,608
• Nation Strength: 198,251,770
• Average NS: 35,352
• Nuke Count: 55,921
• 784.98 Score

i dont get it
[/quote]

They obviously didn't include everyone in the coalition.

[quote name='Ninja Colt' timestamp='1324085578' post='2880214']
The Avengers
• Alliances: 64
• Nation Count: 5,608
• Average NS: 35,352
• Nuke Count: 55,921
• 784.98 Score

i dont get it
[/quote]
what is this? facts?

[quote name='TheDoctor' timestamp='1324095426' post='2880277']
Regardless of how off he is the point is still pretty valid. More nations were in the Karma war than currently exist in the entire game.
[/quote]
No, the point isn't valid, because it changes nothing. "Hey, look at me! I can point out the obvious like 99999999999 people before me? Aren't I special?" is about all it accomplishes. The numbers you mention aren't wrong, but making a post about it is. If he really cares that much, start going around to every online community and aggressively recruiting. If you aren't going to do that, don't complain about something we all know and are tired of seeing mentioned.

Nobody ever called Karma a small coalition. Indeed, it dwarfed any other coalition that had previously existed. To say "the game started dying in 2007" is a joke.

EDIT: For those who don't remember, during Karma, every day of the war was a new record high for the GRL. This continued on for several weeks, and the amount of damage dealt to both sides was truly unprecedented. Who came up with this idea that Karma was a small war? It was the biggest in the history of the game.

Edited by Vasuda

[quote name='Penlugue Solaris' timestamp='1324102427' post='2880371']
No, the point isn't valid, because it changes nothing. "Hey, look at me! I can point out the obvious like 99999999999 people before me? Aren't I special?" is about all it accomplishes. The numbers you mention aren't wrong, but making a post about it is. If he really cares that much, start going around to every online community and aggressively recruiting. If you aren't going to do that, don't complain about something we all know and are tired of seeing mentioned.
[/quote]

What is the point anyhow? That this victory is insignificant because it's in a smaller world? Seems like the underlying message. Whatever helps you sleep at night, James. :D

[quote name='Aeros' timestamp='1324084628' post='2880201']

[/quote]
Join a different alliance. Cult of Justitia has been under 50 nations for its entire existence--May 2009--and had treaties with just 4 alliances in that time, and we've been in 3 wars. Valhalla's lack of action is not the same as a planetwide lack of action.

[quote name='Yevgeni Luchenkov' timestamp='1324104165' post='2880383']
The game has less people on it. Fantastic point.

For a game with 35% less people than during Karma, our coalition seems large enough.
[/quote]
Indeed, and yet every night the server shuts down just the way it did in 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010. That tells me that while the total population might be down, the number of active players is stable, unless Admin has been ratcheting down his bandwidth package very frequently.

I'm just sick of the defeatist threads in general. I'm playing CyberNations, I was playing it in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010. In 2007 I was a GOONS spy, in 2008 I was a populist terrorist and weekly news journal host/celebrity, in 2009-now I'm the leader of a mystery cult. I'm playing the hell out of CyberNations today the same as I was playing the hell out of CyberNations in 2007, and I'm not playing the game like it's going to be turned off tomorrow, I'm playing it as if its got 5 more years. And until all you ritalin kiddies and chicken-littles start doing the same, or disband and make room for the players, then you will continue to fulfill your own doomsday prophecies.

Edited by Schattenmann

[quote name='Schattenmann' timestamp='1324104473' post='2880389']
Indeed, and yet every night the server shuts down just the way it did in 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010. That tells me that while the total population might be down, the number of active players is stable, unless Admin has been ratcheting down his bandwidth package very frequently.
[/quote]
Nitpicking here for a moment, the issue isn't bandwidth, it's the database (usually). The database can only handle so many simultaneous connections before it grinds to a halt and denies access to any new people, with all sorts of fun bugs incurred in the process, regardless of the server's capacity to hand out data. There have been occasions where the bandwidth is an issue, but in those the forums will go down as well. That hasn't happened in quite some time, but you may remember it; admin had to turn off things like custom profile fields during peak traffic to keep everything running.

I do agree with your point at large, mind you; people are simply too impatient. Symptom of the modern culture, I suppose.

We see threads like this pointing out the total amount of players is down all to often, so I agree with those saying they are sick of these threads. A lot of people still play cybernations now and over the next few years that it will still be worth keeping the servers up.

[quote name='Penlugue Solaris' timestamp='1324102427' post='2880371']
[/quote]
I said his point was valid (and it is), I didn't say the thread was good, the point needed to be made or that it mattered.

But instead of ignoring the thread or refuting the fact that the numbers are relevant people decided to come in here and say equally stupid things that didn't at all address what the OP was actually trying to say, so I figured I would point out that they were also saying stupid irrelevant things.

No need to get so touchy.