Angevins visit Vienna? (Re-write)

Maelstrom Vortex

After being called to return to his state from the funeral of the Slavorussian Empress, Geoffrey realized he still had a visit to pay the Austrians. Geoffrey decided his best course of action would be to visit the Austrians now. He contacted their Minister of Foreign Affairs or equivalent.

[Quote]
## Diplomatic Cable ##

Dear Jessika Adler,

I still owe Austria a visit and wish to visit Vienna. Catherine is kind of excited because she loves Vienna and has always wanted to go there. Her abuse of my wallet will likely fill your coffers and maybe we can plan a mutually beneficial future.

With Care,
Geoffrey Plantagenet IX
Angevin King
[/quote]

[quote]
[i]Your Excellency,

I appreciate your concern in creating Angevin relations with the Empire. Indeed, Austria has not any formal contact with your nation, even with our close proximity to each other and Her Majesty does agree that some form of dialogue is important for the maintenance for further stability in Europe, especially with the ever expanding influence of Athens and Germany. I will alert the proper authorities of you and your wife's arrival in Vienna and the Empress has agreed to an audience at Hofburg Palace. She anxiously awaits the arrival of your entourage.

Sincerely,

Jessika Adler
Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs[/i]
[/quote]

When Plantagenet's plane finally arrived in Vienna, the ceremony was one that was indeed fit for a King and Queen. Angevin flags were placed along side Austrian ones as a red velvet carpet was rolled out between a line of Imperial Guards with swords raised with a Royal March of French origin playing in the background as they were led towards where Jessika Adler waited with a carriage bound for Hofburg Palace. The Foreign Minister bowed, her long brown hair tied tightly back in a ponytail and her ministerial sash of red and white proudly displayed on her chest. "Your Majesties, it is a pleasure to meet you both and let me be the first to welcome you to Austria and Gorgeous Vienna. If you would come with me, I will be taking you to Hofburg Palace. The Empress is excited for this meeting."

She opened the door of the carriage and let Geoffrey and his wife inside before climbing in herself. From there, the Rococo-style motorcade, if you could call it that, traveled down the paved roads of Vienna towards the palace. The city had come alive since the Restoration of the Hapsburgs, salons and conservatories displayed the latest fashions in style and music and many turned to stare as the carriage pulled in through the gilded gates. "Austria had been paying special attention to Western Europe these past few weeks watching so many new countries arise. I know the Empress has met with your Duke Paul, I've heard he's quite the gentleman, you should consider yourself lucky, Majesty to have such a respectable group of vassals under you." Jessika laughed as Imperial Guards opened the doors alerting the King and Queen that they had arrived.

From there, Jessika led the Angevins through Hofburg Palace towards the Imperial Throne Room. With the triumphal blast of the Te Deum, glass doors were opened revealing an expansive room of hardwood floors. A young woman sat on a red velvet chair across the room, she wore a white gown with a sparkling tiara set on her blonde head. She smiled and adjusted the sash of the Empress hung over her shoulders and rose from her throne, she was the Empress Maria Theresia the Second. "King Geoffrey, Queen Catherine, welcome to Austria." Her blue eyes sparkled as she stepped down onto the floor. "It is a true pleasure to meet you both. Tell me, King Geoffrey, of what do I owe the pleasure of the King of the Angevins?"

Edited by Sarah Tintagyl

"Here to do what I have set to do from the beginning, tighten the ties of myself and my neighbors whilst allowing Christine to see the sites of Vienna. I was going to speak to you about the fate of Eastern France, but on my way in I heard discussion Burgundy had finally formed a government. I was going to release Brittany, but at the final moment it seems the Governor who I was to appoint decided it may not be the best to separate from France as of yet. Which is well and good. I probably would have eventually found a way to liberate the Burgunds myself if this crown had claimed the land."

"I understand that Europe is performing a very delicate dance between peace and war and as part of that dance I wanted to offer you to enter into a more direct pact than through Athens. In my offer we both would have freedom of movement through each others state, lift all restrictions on migration between our states, allow our intelligence communities to exchange information, and co-operate on judicial matters such as extraditions. I was thinking something similar to the Delian League, but less binding."

"I hadn't gotten your thought on the exact terms yet though, so perhaps your ministers could assist us by drafting what Austria feels it would like in regards to these kind of relations and we can go through a few cutting processes so that the only thing left is that which we desire for it to contain mutually." The King smiled to her warmly.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

Theresia nodded as Geoffrey talked about the inner workings of France. With the rise of a Bourbon Burgundy, she had begun to care less and less about the affairs of the nations to her west as they were strictly within the Athenian Sphere of Influence and family was not an easy nut to crack. However that was not to say there wasn't potential in France, it was unfortunate though they had become so Anti-German because of the Athenians. At least that was the case that Athens alluded to and as assumed it was the same with the French nations, but Geoffrey's proposals were solid and an adequate gateway into the west.

"In all honesty, King. Austria had not really given much thought to the exact terms of a document between our states. I would of course be open to Non-Aggression, Lax Tariffs, all the things that open strong dialogue between nations. However, something like the Delian League you will have to expand on. Austria, has two strong treaties, one in the Mediterranean with the Athenians and the other, the Pact of Brothers, which we signed with the Germans has kept the balance of Europe; at least in our minds, stable. A league type pact would not be to our interest, but an individual treaty with the Angevin Nation would suit us just fine. Would you have any problems with the suggestions I made at the beginning?"

"Not at all, it sounds good. But if it is non-aggression a treaty is hardly necessary. We just won't interfere with each other. However, trade will need to be in writing... so I'm not much of an economist, I say we let our ministers sit down together and come up with a draft they both can agree with and then we'll add our signatures. Of course if you wish to take a more direct role in Austria's portion of the discussions that would be up to you, but I tend to delegate as many affairs of state as possible to alleviate my own burdens."

Christine handed Geoffrey a document, "I was bored, so I had the ministers do a proposal up for you."

Geoffrey blinked a bit in surprise and looked it over. "Simple enough."

[quote]
AA Trade Treaty

This treaty hereby mandates that there shall be no quota or tariff or quota between the states of Austria, the Angevin Monarchy, or their dependent vassal states whom also agree to sign this agreement. This treaty is meant as part of progress towards a greater European free trade zone to permit the optimization of the economies of European states. This treaty may be terminated at any time with 7 days of notice of an intent to cancel before expiry takes full effect. Additionally, no member of this treaty shall move to halt the free movement of labor or commercial and industrial goods across the borders. Arms and items necessary to the national security of the member state are exemptions of this treaty, though those who seek to abuse this exemption should be aware that inappropriate designation of goods under this exemption is a breach of the spirit of the treaty and a reason for mutual cancellation if a resolution cannot be reached upon the specific item.

[/quote]

"What do you think of this treaty and its wording? A good first step?" He Geoffrey inquired after reading it himself.

"Not so much that I don't want to deal with Angevin France, quite the contrary King. If in the future, the French became more independent from Southern Europe I feel that mutual defense and even optional aggression would be in order. But that of course comes at a later time, if at all. As to trade," she said after seeing Christine hand the proposal to Geoffrey. "Let me take a look at this."

She smiled and handled the proposal back to the Angevin King. "That would be fine for a first step and I would be glad to sign such a document."

The ministers came in later with a more polished draft:

[quote]
[center]
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/dd/Royal_Arms_of_England_%281198-1340%29.svg/85px-Royal_Arms_of_England_%281198-1340%29.svg.png[/img] [img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fa/Wappen_Kaisertum_%C3%96sterreich_1867_%28Mittel%29.png/120px-Wappen_Kaisertum_%C3%96sterreich_1867_%28Mittel%29.png[/img]
[size="5"][b]Double A Trade [/b][/size]
[/center]

[b]Article 1: Membership[/b]
This treaty is reserved solely for Austria and the Angevin Monarchy and their vassals.

[b]Article 2: Trade[/b]
This treaty hereby mandates that there shall be no quota or tariff or quota between the states of Austria, the Angevin Monarchy, or their dependent vassal states whom also agree to sign this agreement. This treaty is meant as part of progress towards a greater European free trade zone to permit the optimization of the economies of European states.

[b]Article 3: Movement of Labor with arms exemption[/b]
Additionally, no member of this treaty shall move to halt the free movement of labor or commercial and industrial goods across the borders. Arms and items necessary to the national security of the member state are exemptions of this treaty, though those who seek to abuse this exemption should be aware that inappropriate designation of goods under this exemption is a breach of the spirit of the treaty and a reason for mutual cancellation if a resolution cannot be reached upon the specific item.

[b]Article 4: Termination[/b]
This treaty may be terminated at any time with 7 days of notice of an intent to cancel before expiry takes full effect.

[b]Signatories,[/b]

[i]For the Austrian Empire,
HIM Maria Theresia II von Hapsburg
Empress of Austria

Geoffrey Plantagenet IX
King of the Angevins

Paul Rousseau,
Duke of Andorra
[/i]

[/quote]

Geoffrey went ahead and put his pen to the document.

"I like this document as its, but if you would wish to do Mutual Defense with Optional Aggression it would not be difficult to add. I am willing to go as far as you are Empress. I see Austria as a valuable ally in the region and key to stability so the depth of our relationship in that regards is up to you."

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

"In time, King, there is no reason to rush our diplomacy. As Europe evolves, so too will this alliance. Until that time, I believe that the writing here is sufficient."

[quote]
[u]For the Austrian Empire,[/u]

[i]HIM Maria Theresia II von Hapsburg
Empress of Austria[/i]
[/quote]

She signed her name to the paper and nodded. "That said, King, unless there is anything else you would like to discuss. I have nothing else to add. I owe much thanks to your wife for preparing the treaty with such short notice." Theresia said with a bow.